As a homeowner, you will realize that some projects around your home can be simply too daunting for you to handle on your own. For instance, installing drainage system in India can be one job that is too difficult for a single individual to handle. While it might appear daunting initially, it is a project that can be completed effectively with the help of the right tools and strategies. For the best outcomes, you need the assistance of the best pipe manufacturers to help you with seamless drainage installations.
Let us help you know all about installation of drainage systems as you understand drainage in India. Whether you are a first-time homebuyer or wish to upgrade the drainage system of your house, you should understand different types of underground drainage pipes and their installation.
Drainage System of India
Since the time of independence, India has undergone major rapid urbanization in several aspects -including drainage. With increasing water supply across cities, drainage management systems have to deal with more wastewater from densely populated zones. In this aspect, the existing drainage system in India is regarded as inadequate.
With rapidly increasing urbanization and the overall pressure of population, the impervious surfaces across metro cities are increasing. This, in turn, increases the volume of rainwater runoff. While new areas across the cities continue receiving increased water supply through pipelines, new localities across India do not feature a well-defined sewerage or drainage system.
Understanding the plight of the drainage system in India, it is high time that you should pay attention to improving the drainage of India individually. It can be made possible by understanding different types of drainage and the right installation methods of underground drainage pipes in your premises.
Types of Drainage System in India
Effective corralling as well as dispersing of surface runoff is crucial. It is because we need runoff for ensuring proper vegetation without drowning the crops. Moreover, surplus water is collected to replenish the freshwater supply of any town or city. The longer water will be sitting on a surface, the more vulnerable it will be to contamination. The different types of drainage systems will allow you effectively understand their roles and the manner in which they work together.
Some of the common types of drainage systems you should know about are:
- Surface Drainage System: The system helps in removing excess water from the surface of the land through proper ditches or channels. In some cases, the ground surface might be graded or shaped to create a proper slope towards the respective channels. Some of the common types of surface drainage systems are hollows & humps, open drains, grassed waterways, and levees.
- Slope Drainage System: These are implemented to ensure waterflow from a structure in the downward direction. It is achieved with the help of proper drain pipes from leading pipe manufacturers. The pipes usually move down along the slope. As the installed drain pipes are anchored to some incline, these help in guiding the flow of water to go swiftly through the structure.
- Sub-surface Drainage System: These systems are implemented underneath the soil’s top layer. These function at the root level to get rid of excess water. It is recommended to dig ditches to ensure the installation of sub-surface drainage systems. With a leading pipe manufacturer like Topline Industries, you can come across a wide range of sub-surface drainage pipes or solutions for your customized drainage requirements.
- Gutter Systems and Downspouts: These are the first line of defense against oversaturation due to storm or rainwater. Excess water is usually drained onto buried drainpipes, aluminum extensions, rain barrel, or some other wastewater collection system. The primary purpose is to move out excess water while routing water to other types of drainage systems on the sidewalk or street. In some cases, gutters and downspouts also connect to the underground sewer line with the help of underground drains.
4 Things to Consider While Installing Drainage System in India
One of the most crucial aspects of any drainage system is to make sure that the system is capable of directing the water away from your business or home. If it will not direct excess water to the right destination, it will lead to irreversible damage. Therefore, it is imperative to ensure that you go ahead with proper installation of the drainage system in India. Here are some factors to consider:
- Location of Water Accumulation: The initial step of designing and installing a proper drainage system in India should be aimed at determining the area that is expected to be drained. It is recommended to map out the same in your property while identifying all core areas wherein water tends to accumulate the most.
- Catchment Area: Once you have identified the spot wherein water accumulates the most, you can start with designing and installing the drainage system. The catchment area is situated on the slope or near the area wherein standing water is present -like the creek or pond. It is important to make sure that this area is large enough to enable the free flow of water. During its flow through the catchment area, water should not be blocked by any structure.
- Drainage Field: It is the part of the drainage system in which excess water is directed to from the property. You should make sure that this area is far away from all possible structures to avoid flooding or damage wherein the system will not be working.
- Outlet: It is the part of the drainage system that is responsible for discharging water from the property -either with the help of an underground pipe or a storm drain.
Before you start designing and installing the drainage system in your area, it is important to consider the type of drainage system you will require for your particular specifications.
The installation of the right drainage system plays a vital role in determining the success of the drain systems in your area.